Enjoy our collection of Halloween posts from years past:
Race and Ethnicity
- Dressing your dog up like a racial caricature (pictured).
- Othering of undocumented immigrants with an “alien” costume.
- A collection of racist Halloween costumes.
- Asian hair for Halloween.
- Men dressing up as fat women, hilarious and disgusting!
- Gender and asymmetry: “beer man and “beer girl.”
- Anna Rexia, the costume (also in plus size!).
- Halloween and the trivializing of women in men’s occupations.
- Girls: mean or queen.
- The difference between boy and girl costumes.
- Women dressing up like girls dressing up like women.
- Even our skeletons have sex.
- In sexy costumes for women and girls: when sexy overtakes all reason, sexy scholar, Harem girl, and the sexy body bag costume. Compare to sexy Halloween costumes for men and this vintage Halloween-inspired ad that urges women to be bewitching instead of half-naked.
The intersection of Race, Class, and Gender
- Halloween hall of shame: the fat lap dancer costume.
- An overview of raced, gendered, and heteronormative costumes.
Halloween and Politics
And, for no conceivable reason…Lisa Wade, PhD is a professor at Occidental College. She is the author of American Hookup, a book about college sexual culture, and Gender, a textbook. You can follow her on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.