Paul Frank, creator of fashion icon Julius the Monkey, emailed us. He wanted to let us know that he opposed the monkey’s appearance in a Native American-inspired fashion event that we used as an example of cultural appropriation. The post and the follow up can be found here.
Gwen was quoted at Andrew Sullivan’s Daily Dish talking about awareness of beneficiaries’ awareness of their use of government programs.
I was quoted in the Deseret News in a story about the challenges faced by families in the age of the internet.
- Racialicious, Nature, Nurture, and the Pro Athlete
- Jezebel, The Weight Watchers Life Trajectory
- Jezebel, Gender, Power, and Chris Brown’s Battered Woman Tattoo
- Ms., We Like You A Lot, Ms. Scientist, But We’d Rather Hire the Guy
Upcoming Lectures and Appearances
I had a fabulous time at Indiana State University this month and I’m looking forward to upcoming talks in California and Boston:
- California State University – Northridge (Oct. 8): “Female Genital ‘Mutilation’ in the American Imagination”
- Western Political Science Association (Hollywood, CA, Mar. 28-30): panels on “Public Intellectualism” and the “Twenty-First Century Sex Wars”
- Harvard University (Women’s Week, Mar. 8-14): “A Feminist Defense of Friendship”
Please welcome Laura Bertocci, our new SocImages intern. Laura is a senior History major at Occidental College currently writing her thesis on the American media coverage of the Chilean dictatorship in 1973, inspired by her recent semester abroad in Valparaíso, Chile. She has worked at her hometown’s branch of Patch.com, LA politics blog The City Maven, Forbes Magazine, and Gannett Government Media in every role from reporter to editor to photographer, and plans on pursuing journalism after graduation.
Most Popular Posts
Speaking of Laura, she collected this set of our most popular posts from September:
- Gender, Power, and Chris Brown’s Battered Woman Tattoo
- Confirmation Bias and the iPhone 5
- Mitt Romney and the 47% Meme
- Hidden Beneficiaries of Federal Programs
- Words: The Democratic and Republican Conventions
- Sad White Babies with Mean Feminist Mommies
- The “Sworn Virgins” of Albania: Social Rules and Accommodations
- Gender and Biased Perceptions: Scientists Rate Job Applicants
Newest Pinterest Page
Social Media ‘n’ Stuff
This is your monthly reminder that SocImages is on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and Pinterest. Lisa is on Facebook and most of the team is on Twitter: @lisadwade, @gwensharpnv, @familyunequal, @carolineheldman, @jaylivingston, and @wendyphd.
In Other News…