We have been urged to celebrate Black History Month…
- …with fried chicken and collard greens.
- No really, with fried chicken and collard greens! (pictured)
- …by relaxing our hair and drinking kool-aid.
- …by conflating them with “underprivileged” people.
- …with a “Compton Cookout” complete with blackface and nooses!
- …by buying stuff from companies that do nothing but acknowledge Black History Month.
<sarcasm> Good times. </sarcasm>Lisa Wade is a professor at Occidental College and the co-author of Gender: Ideas, Interactions, Institutions. Find her on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.