At the end of January we had the pleasure of introducing the world to 7 year old Charlotte’s letter to Lego asking for more female minifigs and adventures for girls.
It struck a nerve and was covered this month at The Independent, ABC News, CBC News, Fox News, io9, USA Today, The Examiner, The New York Daily News, San Francisco Gate, Buzzfeed, Shine, Huffington Post, Metro, Vitamin W, and The Daily Mail. And that’s just a selection from the first two pages of search results!
- The Feminization of Love and Masculinization of Sex (2,300+ likes)
- “Shed Your Weight Problem” by Ditching Your Fashion Mags (1,200+ likes)
- Gillette, Stymied by Beards, Heads South (700+ likes)
- Questioning Media Portrayals of Female Drunkenness (500+ likes)
- Courtesy Stigma and the Consequences of Deviance (500+ likes)
Social Media ‘n’ Stuff:
Finally, this is your monthly reminder that we’re on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Google+, and Pinterest. I’m on Facebook and most of the team is on Twitter: @lisawade, @gwensharpnv, @familyunequal, and @jaylivingston.
…a lovely picture of the steamboat Natchez on the Mississippi crescent. I’m enjoying New Orleans and looking forward to Mardi Gras and the St. Ann’s parade!Lisa Wade is a professor of sociology at Occidental College and the co-author of Gender: Ideas, Interactions, Institutions. You can follow her on Twitter and Facebook.