Five minutes for fun facts on this almost-Thanksgiving day in the US. Some of my favorites:
- Stuffing goes back to at least the 4th century CE.
- Potatoes are truly an American tuber; it’s grown in every 50 states.
- Corn is a flower.
- Meat pies preceded desert pies and they were called “coffins.”
- In case you need a 15th century aphrodisiac recipe: boiled peas and onions sprinkled with cinnamon, ginger, and cardamon.
- The average American eats between 3,000 and 5,000 calories at Thanksgiving dinner.
Thanks Mental Floss!