We’re 7 years old today! To celebrate, check out this picture of seven capybaras.
Thanks to everyone who has visited over the last seven years! This is our 5,226th post and I can hardly believe it. Ready to charge on for another!
Here are some highlights from the last year. The blog never ceases to surprise!
- Volunteers put together two new Course Guides: Sociology of Work and Occupations and Family and Society.
- We put together three new Pinterest pages: Racist Antics at Colleges and High Schools, the Mean Girls Meme, and Marketing Feminism.
- Celebrity tweets! Musician Amanda Palmer and Piper Kerman, of Orange is the New Black fame, tweeted about us!
- We received an award from MERLOT for being an “outstanding” sociology resource.
- Charlotte’s letter to Lego went viral.
- Our contributor, sociologist Philip Cohen, had a new textbook come out, titled: The Family: Diversity, Inequality, and Social Change.
- We began seeing SocImages material re-posted at Business Insider.
- Our most liked post of the year: From the Mouths of Rapists: The Lyrics of Robin Thicke’s Blurred Lines, by Sezin Koehler, received 186,000 likes and counting.
- My Salon article on men’s difficulty forming friendships with other men hit a nerve.
- The Society Pages podcast interviewed me about what it’s like nurturing this site to life every day.
- Our 8-month-old Tumblr reached 17,000+ followers and we can now boast 57,000 Facebook, 20,000 Twitter, and 12,000 Pinterest followers. Y’all are the best!