A huge “thank you” to all of the nearly 30,000 readers who liked and shared our post The Balancing Act of Being Female; Or, Why Women Wear So Many Clothes! I’m thrilled that it stuck such a nerve!
In Twitter news, SocImages’ account reached 10,000 followers!
I’m also pleased to announce a new relationship with PolicyMic, a site dedicated to democratic media for the Millennial generation. I’ll be posting select stuff there. (Special thanks to Sam Meier!) I’ve re-started my blog on The Huffington Post as well.
Thanks, as well, to Jezebel, Racialicious, and Ms. Magazine for re-posting our bits about:
- how Geico dissed the lioness,
- the disconnect between young men’s and women’s hopes for marriage, and
- how racial minorities and immigrants are disproportionately put in private, for-profit prisons with few counseling and educational programs,
- among others.
Upcoming Lectures and Appearances:
I have six talks scheduled for Spring. If you’re in Kingston, Boston, or Akron, I’d love to schedule a meet up!
- Jan. 31 — Occidental College — “‘The Night Overall Wasn’t Bad’: Oxy Students on Hooking Up”
- Feb. 26 — Queen’s University of Kingston — Hook Up Culture Lecture and Workshop
- Mar. 8-14 — Harvard University — “A Feminist Defense of Friendship”
- Mar. 27 — Ponoma College — “‘The Night Overall Wasn’t Bad’: What College Students Really Think About Hooking Up”
- Mar. 28-30 — Western Political Science Association (Hollywood, CA) — panels on “Public Intellectualism” and the “Twenty-First Century Sex Wars”
- Apr. 19 — University of Akron — “Anatomy of an Outrage: Female Genital Cutting and the Politics of Acculturation”
Social Media ‘n’ Stuff:
Finally, this is your monthly reminder that SocImages is on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and Pinterest. Lisa is on Facebook and most of the team is on Twitter: @lisawade, @gwensharpnv, @familyunequal, @carolineheldman, and @jaylivingston.
In Other News…
I was in Costa Rica this month and this — a wild sloth that came down from the trees to cross the path — was my favorite moment of the trip. After he climbed into the forest on the other side, I actually burst into tears.
You would’ve too! Look at that face!!!