Call for Papers:
- I’m looking for recommendations for fantastic blog posts addressing gender and its intersections for a book project. Self-nominations are welcome! Please send ideas to email@example.com.
- Happy birthday, little blog! You’re 7!
Elsewhere on the Web:
- I spent an hour with Sex Nerd Sandra talking the history of hookup culture. Listen here.
- A post about racist color blind dress codes caught the attention of NPR. They interviewed me for a story about the phenomenon.
- New York Magazine wrote about our discussion of rural white men rollin’ coal.
- TV Guide picked up Sezin Koehler’s coverage of the failed coverage of female body parts at HBO.
- I appeared on Portland’s Carl in the Morning to talk about the decline of conformity in America. Listen here.
You like! Here are our most appreciated posts this month:
- Overweight Americans have the lowest risk of premature death (2,500+ likes)
- Gender-neutral bathrooms: Solving the sign problem (1,500+ likes)
- Cuteness-inspired aggression is actually a thing (1,300+ likes)
- “Trophy scarves”: Race, gender, and the woman-as-prop trope (1,100+ likes)
- Wall Street: The hidden culprit behind rising tuition (1000+ likes)
- Confirmation bias expert convinced everyone suffers from confirmation bias (800+ likes)
- Beyond the gender binary (700+ likes)
- Main, mean, and median streets (600+ likes)
Social Media ‘n’ Stuff:
Finally, this is your monthly reminder that SocImages is on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Google+, and Pinterest. I’m on Facebook and most of the team is on Twitter: @lisawade, @gwensharpnv, @familyunequal, and @jaylivingston.Lisa Wade is a professor of sociology at Occidental College and the co-author of Gender: Ideas, Interactions, Institutions. You can follow her on Twitter and Facebook.